How to know your skin type
A year ago
How to know your skin type
With so much information out there it can be difficult to understand how to care for your skin. But before thinking about which skin products are right for your skin it’s important to understand what your skin type actually is.
There are five types in total which can help you decide what yours is, even if we know it’s not always that simple. Some people can place in two or even three categories. This blog should hopefully make it clearer for you.
How does your skin feel?
A major part of working out your skin type is to notice how it feels, especially the texture.
Sensitive skin: usually itchy, patchy, dry and can sometimes sting a little.
Combination skin: usually feels oily in the T-zone (your forehead, nose and chin) but all other places should feel dry. It may also be oily and dry in different locations, and if you have two or more different textures on your face, it means you have combination skin.
Normal skin: skin should feel even and balanced, and neither too oily, dry or sensitive.
Oily skin: skin will feel greasy and shiny everywhere.
Dry skin: will feel quite tight and dry, usually being flaky and likely to crack - especially in those cold winter months.
Check your pores
Sensitive skin: if you have sensitive skin you’ll have normal to large pores, but it can be different depending on possible reactions to products and other potential irritants.
Combination skin: you have combination skin if you have big pores and which often get clogged up around the nose area. They’re also small and won’t be too noticeable on your cheeks or other areas of your face.
Normal skin: pores aren’t really noticeable if you have normal skin.
Oily skin: those with oily skin often have a hard time with large pores as they get easily clogged up with sweat and excreted bodily oils.
Dry skin: people with a dry skin type usually small pores which can often feel tight.
How does your skin feel after cleansing?
Sensitive skin: will usually feel clean and slightly dry after being washed, though a cleanser may result in itching and irritation. If this happens a lot and with multiple products, it’s a clear indication of sensitive skin.
Combination skin: after combination skin has been cleansed it will feel clean, refreshed and free of oil around the nose area. But it may also feel tight and dry around the cheeks too.
Normal skin: those with normal skin will feel their skin is really clean and clear after cleansing. Moisturiser may still be needed, but skin doesn’t feel overly sensitive.
Oily skin: once skin has been cleansed, oily skin will feel clean and oil-free. However, shortly after cleansing, it will feel oily again.
Dry skin: cleansing dry skin can make it feel even more dry and also leave it dehydrated.
How to take care of your skin type
- Patch test products to find what works for you before to find out which products aggravate your skin.
- Use mild products without fragrance and harsh ingredients such as menthol and alcohol.
- Stay away from harsh scrubs containing crushed walnuts, pumice or aluminium crystals.
- Make sure to use lukewarm water.
- Don’t use scrubbing mitts and bar soaps.
- Use multiple products for different areas of the face to keep skin balanced.
- Lighter lotions and serums are ideal for normal skin as heavy products aren’t needed to keep your skin nice and balanced.
- Cleanse your face often and don’t use heavy creams and emollients (this will reduce the appearance of oil). Look for sunscreens and lotions that are free of oil so you’re not inadvertently adding more oil to your skin.
- Moisturising is important for dry skin and using lotions and rich creams will nourish skin cells.
- If your skin does feel dry and you’re still getting breakouts your skin is probably feeling dry from the products being used, not necessarily because you have naturally dry skin.
- Try removing all products from your routine to see if your skin improves.
Now you’ve identified your skin type and how to protect it, it’s time to choose your skincare products! Belle + So’s Super Vitamin C Booster Serum and Super Hydrating Jet Lag Cream have been specially designed to work with all skin types, so anyone can benefit from planet friendly, 100% vegan, clean beauty products. Each product can be bought separately, together or as part of one of our sets. Lots of options to help start your skincare journey!
See the full collection.